Flirting with a cute guy might feel daunting and scary. Many girls feel like it is the guy’s job to make the first move or start the flirtation.
However, guys like women who are assertive and who know what they want. If you are scared to start flirting, rest assured, it’s much easier than you may think! All that you need to do is to master these simple tips and be confident!
1. Make eye contact
This shows confidence on your part and will allow you to gauge his interest in you. If he holds eye contact with you then he is probably happy that you are looking at him!
Many women make the mistake of not smiling or even frowning at men. They think that seeming disinterested or slightly standoffish is a good tactic.
This might work for some men but most of them are going to see you as kind of a snotty girl. That’s never attractive and is not going to get men to come up to you.
3. Consider making the first move
There is a lot of pressure on guys to start things, and it can get stressful and exhausting. Sometimes a guy wants to be approached. You will instantly stand out as gutsy, confident and assertive.
All of those things are sexy, sexy, sexy!
4. Use your body language
- Don’t cross your arms. Never cross your arms. You may as well be putting a big cage around your body and you make yourself look angry and standoffish. Not sexy.
- Flip your hair and smile. Remember, smiling is HUGE! Men love hair, as well, and the more attention you draw to your hair, the sexier you will be.
- Eye contact! We covered this already.
- Smile, smile, smile! This will make you seem open, happy and interested. Again, we already covered this.
5. Look your best
Anything that makes you feel pretty and puts an extra pep in your step will make you look great and will also give you confidence.
6. Start talking
Many women make the mistake of thinking that standing there and looking pretty will get a guy’s attention. The truth is, he might notice you but he is not going to be any more apt to come talk to you if you aren’t smiling, using positive body language, etc.
In addition, you may just need to be brave and start the conversation yourself. Yes, scary but also very empowering! Open with a question, engage yourself in the conversation, laugh at his jokes and share about yourself as much as possible.
Here are a few questions that you can use to get started:
- Do you work out? Where?
- How are you still single? You’re so cute!
- What do you like to do better? Play games or watch movies? I want to plan our first date! (wink wink)
- What are you looking for in a girl?
- How can someone impress you?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- How did you get to be so smart?
- Do you think I should cut my hair?
- Do you like romantic movies? What about action? Comedy? Drama?
- How do you feel about the girl making the first move? Is it pushy or sexy?
- What can I do to get you to smile?
- Where do you like to eat out?
- What’s your favorite kind of food?
- Do you think women with blond hair or brunette hair are sexier?
- Did you know that you are adorable? I bet you get told that a lot, huh?
7. Break the touch barrier
Being the first person to touch the other is much scarier than making eye contact or smiling. It is even more terrifying than starting a conversation. But, it doesn’t have to be. No one is implying that you should grab him by the neck and pull him in for a passionate kiss.
Instead, try doing it in these ways:
- Touch his forearm lightly while you’re talking, grab his wrist and laugh at a funny joke or point out his cool watch.
- Casually put a hand or elbow on his shoulder as though you’re resting it there.
- “Accidentally” bump into him.
- Straighten his collar or knock a bread crumb off of his sleeve.
8. Pay him a compliment, playfully tease him and leave him wanting more
In short, be charming and sweet but also smart and sassy. That’s a tall order, of course.
However, if you are able to pull it off he will be hooked and will be looking forward to your next meeting before you even say “Good night!”
9. Don’t be boring
Don’t be boring on the phone, in person or via text or e-mail. You don’t have to be the most exciting woman to ever live to be the kind of woman that ignites a man’s interest. Talk about things that matter to you. Talk about things that you know matter to him.
Be actively engaged in letting him know that you are interesting and full of life. Talk about current events, his family, your family, your careers, TV shows, whatever it is that gets the both of you talking.
If you can’t find common ground to talk about, it may be a sign that there is no need to continue to flirt. However, if the two of you strije up a great conversation then you will know that you two may have something, after all.
10. A few things NOT to do:
- Never act overly sexual. Never make crude or vulgar jokes. Of course, be funny and, of course, be yourself. Just be a little bit cautious with the things that you say and the way that you say them. People will often judge you on a first impression.
- Never talk about other guys. You may think that it will make him jealous or show that you are desirable but it will really make you seem either slutty or snotty. Think about it: Do you want to hear all about all of the other girls that are interested in a guy that you just met? You sure don’t.
- Never call him more than once. Let him call you back. That means if you call first, and you should if you want to, don’t call over and over. That just appears desperate. There is a fine line between looking interested and looking pathetic.
- Never act too good or stuck up. You may think this makes you look desirable and that it will make men more interested. However, nice guys will not like a girl that is full of herself, rude or conceited. If you want to meet a nice guy then you will need to be a nice girl. Simple as that.
- Never hang out with a group of tons of girls. Your clique is like a big brick wall blocking out any new guys. Go out with one or two nice, charming girls. Think of them as your “wing women.” Have them help you pinpoint your targets and assist you in your flirting tactics.
So, there you have it! Still feel queasy just thinking about it? Well, if you do, rest easy, you are NOT alone. Most women think that flirting sounds downright terrifying.
You know why? Because very few women have practice! Women are not expected to be the aggressors and, therefore, never learn how to do it all that well.
However, the mere fact that you are showing interest and asserting yourself will win you points immediately. What you do after that will just be icing on the cake.
So be yourself… just be the best version of yourself that you can be. Smile, laugh, show interest and never allow yourself to fade into the background. Stand out and stand tall. Men will respond.